Summary: Machinist II works under general supervision and requires considerable knowledge of machine shop tool and equipment operation and blueprint reading in order to fabricate, repair, cut, bore, groove, or thread parts.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Follow written procedure.
2. Must have knowledge of the proper procedure to power on and off equipment.
3. Operates various hand and machine shop tools and equipment (ex. Lathe, mill, saw, drill, grinders, etc.) in order to fabricate, modify, repair, cute bore, thread, polish, or build a variety of parts.
4. Maintains work area, tools, gages, and equipment used to complete tasks assigned.
5. Has ability to read and understand simple blueprints and most inspection gages.
6. Can set proper gages to complete task.
7. Has a considerable understanding of equipment controls and functions.
8. Load and unload tooling from equipment.
9. Change cutting inserts when necessary.
10. Tolerances indicated on drawing above +/- .002 are to consistently be accurate.
11. Employee must be able to set up equipment from start to first article completion with limited help from higher level machinist.
12. Will possess basic knowledge of programing (read, make minor changes, and write simple cycles).
13. Fix minor issues that surface (chatter and tool wear).
14. May be asked to run different or multiple machines.
15. Other duties may be assigned.
Knowledge and Skill:
1. Knowledge and uderstanding of machine shop procedures and equipment operation.
2. Must possess basic math skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, percentages).
3. Ability to carry out instructions in written, oral, or picture form: read simple sentences.
For and individual to enter a level II class, 12 months of like training in machine shop procedures and equipment as well as an above average appraisal must be completed.
- Ability to lift between 10 and 100 pounds repeatedly.
- Move limbs/fingers to perform manual functions repeatedly.
- Stand, bend continuously.